starship-design: NASA misses the mark -- Rep. Dana Rohrabacher,

Sounds like things are heating up to fix the mes in NASA.  Hope it goes
through.

 <A HREF="http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20031130-111249-5210r.htm";>NASA
misses the mark - The Washington Times: Editorials/OP-ED</A>

NASA misses the mark
By Dana Rohrabacher

As a member of the House Science Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics for 15
years, I have witnessed time and again NASA's over-promising, over-marketing
and underestimating costs. Whether it's the Space Shuttle or Space Station,
it's a pattern. NASA goes for the grandiose, ignoring doable, more affordable
alternatives. An Industrial Space Facility, reliant on remote-control robotics
and infrequent visits by astronauts, was an alternative for a permanently
manned station. This could have been done for a small fraction of the cost of the
International Space Station, and we would have almost immediately benefited
from space-based science experiments.
    America is now at a vital crossroads, struggling with choices, but with
no quality vision on which to base those decisions. This mandate for decision
has been forced upon us in large measure by the disintegration of the Space
Shuttle Columbia. With the current grounding of the Shuttle fleet, America has
lost the capability for manned space flight. We simply can't go on without the
consensus of a unifying vision. Great treasure and lives are being expended;
the nation must appreciate the great purpose of sending humans into space, or we
will cease to do it. NASA has squandered money and lives insisting on
mega-projects, and it has jeopardized its greatest asset: the faith of the American
people.
    Yet, America's continuous support for a national space program is
testimony to our people's national character, which is tied in so many ways to the
conquest of frontiers: the expansion of freedom, hope and prosperity for the
common man.
    Even now, as despair is evident in our public-sector space program, the
commercially-focused space sector is confident and gearing up.
Telecommunication and space services (like weather and space imaging and those relating to our
Global Positioning System) have already changed our world. Now, space
entrepreneurs are emerging to inspire us with their innovation and creativity and
their willingness to take the next step up.
    Individuals like Burt Rutan, Dennis Tito and Elon Musk are pushing the
boundaries, building affordable space hardware and investing where no investor
has gone before.They are also changing the rules when it comes to the economics
of space travel.If not dragged down by our own space bureaucracy, the new
space entrepreneurs will no doubt make major advances toward affordable access to
space. Their goals are not so grandiose: taking tourists into space and
bringing them home alive. These private-sector endeavors will spawn spinoff
technologies that will help our government efforts, especially in defense. There's a
role reversal for you.
    And spinoffs notwithstanding, we may also see a foundation laid for
ultra-rapid passenger and package delivery service to many points on the
globe,aswellasspace tourism and other moneymaking ventures.All this is happening, let us
note, when the NASA effort is thrashing around, as its huge programs collapse
from their own contradictions.
    So, what must be done? Let's get government out of the way of space
entrepreneurs and put in place policies that encourage such private-sector space
initiatives. Congress should provide incentives for space investment.MyZero
Gravity/Zero Tax proposal should be dusted off and implemented.NASA should agree
to use private-sector alternatives in resupplying the Space Station.Government,
of course, has more than a passive role to play.Like it or not, the space
effort is by its nature tethered to the government.In the short term, we need to
finish the work at hand, and that means getting the Space Station's laboratory
working and showing results.Anything else will result in a huge loss of
credibility with the American taxpayers and make them ever more skeptical about
NASA.
    The Clementine mission, brought about by a group of rebels in the space
community, discovered evidence of water at lunar poles in 1996.The Lunar
Prospector project demonstrated that commercial lunar exploration missions are
feasible. With evidence of water on the moon, we can make oxygen to breathe and
hydrogen for fuel. The Moon/Earth arena beckons us.Helium-3, a rare isotope found
on Earth, is in abundant supply on the Moon.Some believe that this element
may in the future provide the basis for a clean-burning fuel if and when fusion
reactor technology becomes a reality.
    So, let's quit talking about sending a person to Mars, and look a little
closer at what we can do with water on the moon. Let us focus on this vast
stretch of the near universe, and make sure we can use it to better the lives of
our people and make them safer and more prosperous.
    On another front, while we remain mired in indecision and bureaucracy
concerning what direction U.S. human space flight should take, the Chinese seem
to have a clear understanding of why they are attempting human space flight: to
enhance national prestige, technological advances and the promotion of
high-tech exports. The success of China'sfirstastronaut launched into orbit in
October could signal a fast-track space program that could very well leave us in
the dust.
    Obviously, America has to get going.The president needs to lead the way
with a major vision speech, and what day would be more perfect than December 17
— the 100th anniversary of human flight?He could, if he chooses, talk about
encouraging Orville and Wilbur Wright-like projects with incentives like the
Zero Gravity/Zero Tax proposal. With such empowerment, mind-boggling projects
like the collection of solar power from arrays of solar panels hold the promise
of an abundant energy source for humankind. Our president has the opportunity
to excite a whole new generation about space. I implore him to do so. He has
been a great leader since September 11. Now, he can make a historic mark on
another great defining quest for our nation.

    Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, California Republican, is chairman of the Space
and Aeronautics Subcommittee of the House Science Committee.