Re: starship-design: Space Elevators Maybe Closer To Reality Than Imagined

In a message dated 8/1/03 7:25:05 PM, lparker@cacaphony.net writes:

>On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 21:00, KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>
>> The power would be worth more.
>>
>> Wonder how they generate it without degrading their orbit?
>

>Funny, but I don't think the article specified where the extra energy
>came from. Perhaps it is like the Space Power tether experiments that
>the Shuttle did a few years ago.
>
>Lee

In those the shutles kinetic energy is converted to power.  Effectivly the
teather acts like a generator wire moving through the earths magnetic fields.
Do that with this and you'ld drag the teather back and down.

That would be bad.

;)