Re: starship-design: Cheap Access to Space

In a message dated 11/10/02 3:58:55 PM, lparker@cacaphony.net writes:

>> >It was FLYING.
>>
>> But it was a long way from orbital ops.  And Boeing likely
>> wouldn't sell.
>
>It was part (actually, the first) of the DC series and was never meant
>actually reach orbit. Nevertheless, it was under budget, on time and showed
>actual promise of becoming a real system someday. Its only problem was
>that
>it wasn't sexy. OBTW, McDonnell Douglas was the contractor and not
>surprisingly, it was managed by the Air Force at first.

I know.  I knew folks on the project.

McDonnell Douglas was forced toi murge with Boeing.  I.E. Boeing, who never
liked the idea, now controls all of the DC-X data.

McDonnell Douglas estimated they could get production DC-3 (productino SSTO
cargo craft) rolling off a assembly line in 3 years and $3 billion.   But
thats way to much for a X prize contestant to come up with.

>> Actually it was closer to a thousanth those durring a shuttle
>> flight.
>>
>> The estimates were a full production DC-X like SSTO would
>> take 100 -200 man
>> days of labor to turn around between flights.  Suttle takes
>> over a thousand
>> man years!!!
>
>The DC-XA performed a 24 turn around between flights just before it was
>cancelled. They must have pulled one heck of an all nighter!
>
>Lee

Hey, its still hell of a lot better then shuttle.

;)

Kelly