Re: starship-design: Cheap Access to Space

In a message dated 11/10/02 1:56:11 PM, lparker@cacaphony.net writes:

>What I don't understand, is that if anyone REALLY wants the X-prize  and
>intends on doing anything with the hardware after they win (or even if
>they don't), why don't they but the rights to the DC-X?
>
>It was FLYING.

But it was a long way from orbital ops.  And Boeing likely wouldn't sell.

;)

>It is closer than anything else out there to managing SSTO, quick turn
>around and minimal ground crew. Heck, even during testing the ENTIRE ground
>crew, monitoring crew and engineers on site were less than a tenth of a
>typical shuttle launch. Worse if you factor in all of the people involved
>in refurbing the shuttles between trips
>

>Lee

Actually it was closer to a thousanth those durring a shuttle flight.

The estimates were a full production DC-X like SSTO would take 100 -200 man
days of labor to turn around between flights.  Suttle takes over a thousand
man years!!!