starship-design: re: scrap the shuttle

Lee went into some detail about how NASA's percentage of all launches keeps getting smaller. To me, this looks like a function of the number of countries and corporations wanting to put communications satellites in orbit -- I'm guessing that they find it cheaper and quicker than they could get the service from NASA, and without the extra red tape as well.

He also seems to disparage the Russians for selling astronaut tickets to a few rich folks who just want an exotic vacation trip. Hey, more power to 'em! The Russian economy is a mess, and by some accounts, their government went straight from Communism to Mafia, so if this is a way for them to fund some space work, why not? True, they haven't been pulling their weight with the ISS, but again, their economy . . . well, they're still fighting Chechens. Who wants to bet that NASA won't get shaved a bit to make room in the billfold for kicking Sadam's ass? Cruise missiles are $1M each, last I heard.

Bottom line of all this is -- FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Keep looking up,

Curtis

Do you Yahoo!?