RE: starship-design: Lawmen, Taxmen and Bureaucrats

Yeah I've noticed that dead or not, it still gets the occasional hit. Wish
one of us had time to burn...

> I've seen mega-corps drill for oil in the deep ocean, in the
> arctic, etc.  Do
> mines in the tops of mountains, deeps of jjungles, etc.
>
> Corps are quite willing and able to take risk and handel
> frounteers.  Even
> hire some real characters to work out there.  BUT -- they
> need to see money
> at the end of it.  So far there is nothing out there thats a
> real draw.

Gee, Kelly, you agreed and disagreed in the same sentence! Well almost the
same sentence...yes the mega corps do take risks, very calculated,
quantified, limited, demarcated .... but still, risks. That is not quite the
same as sending a mission after an asteroid that might, MIGHT, have
unimaginable riches inside it, and maybe, MAYBE being able to extract them.
Losing a man to a construction site accident on a drilling platform barely
makes headlines, just an obit. Losing a man on an asteroid extraction
operation would just about put the company out of business. Not the same
risk at all.

> The focus of the origional editorial seemed to be that it
> would not / could
> not be the big powerfull corps or organizations, but would be radical
> nonconformists.  Folks like the individuals who went out on
> their own and
> pioneered the west on the lawless frounteer.  But it is the
> big corps and
> organizations, with their demands for reasonable order, that
> pioneer on the
> kind of nasty frounteers we do now on earth, or will do in
> space.  They won't
> be crooks and pirates, because such folk get each other
> killed and are to
> much trouble to put up with.  They will be agressive,
> arogent, probably often
> not real polite, or not conformists.  But not exactly crooks
> or pirates.

You mean people like Rutan, Benson, Kelly and Kistler don't qualify? Gee,
you just broke my romantic heart <G>. Seriously, I think you were taking his
reference to rogues, pirates and misfits a little too literally. It may well
end up being some mega corp that leads the drive into space, but there will
a person or people in charge of that corp who have that spirit he was
talking about. I just wish them luck with the board of directors...

Lee