Re: starship-design: LCDs

> >Plasma screens are much more rugged, durable and longer lasting.
> >
> >Unfortunately, the ones I am familiar with are power hogs.
> >

> >Lee
>
> Lee, Starships ae such a power hog, the flat screens could hope to use
> enonugh to be noteworthy.
>
> ;)

Well, I've done some more research now, so I think the answers are resonably
logical.

You're right, Plasma displays are power-hogs... compared to LCDs.  Compared
to CRTs, they use less than half the power however.

I have a suspicion (and that's all it is) that some effieicy could be gained
with plasma screens if they didn't have to convert the mains-source power (a
"mains" supply apready running at the needed 300V or so?).

Looking into their structure, they're more durable physicly, but I suspect
also in vacuum.  LCDs are thin and contain a liquid, which would be leached
out in any (hopefully expected) vacuum exposure, whereas plasmas only
containa  low-pressure gas, making it less likely to leak or fracture from
internal pressure.  They could be used easily in and out of vacuum (EG: and
V-exposed ship-lab, or in an airlock?).

It would make more of a demand on a ships power, but it can be lessened by
simply having inactive terminals shut down.

The stats I've found for their lifespan also seem impressive:

<quote>
This varies considerably between manufacturers but usually from 20,000 to
30,000 hours. After this time the plasma screen will only be at around half
the original brightness. If you used your plasma screen for 5 hours a day
every day it would last over 10 years.

At the end of the plasma screen's life, the screen will be very dull and you
will need to replace the plasma screen with a new one. This is one advantage
plasma screens have over LCD projectors, which have a bulb life of usually
2,000 hours before replacement.
</quote>

Another source said:
<q>
Manufacturers quote a life expectancy of around 24,000 continual hours use
before noticeable deterioration of the picture quality becomes apparent. It
will probably last much longer depending on the application of your screen.
Eight hours per day, seven days per week for eight years is less than 24,000
hours!
</q>

Even being used 24hours a day, that still nearly 3 years of solid use before
they loose half their brightness.  with power-saving modes saving of screen
life and power, a ship would probably only need a complete screen refit
every 10 years?
I'd imagine it's the phosper in the screen that decays, leading to the
screens death.  Anyone know if there's a way to revitalise phosphers?  Even
if not, I'd guess most of the screens could be reused if the phosphers could
be replaced?

Baring new developments in flat-screens, I think Plas,a screens fit the bill
nicely. =)

All the best,

Sci