starship-design: LCDs

In recent discussions with a friend I was pointed out a problem with my
multi-purpose terminals idea.  Previously I wanted to use full-colour
displays, allowing maximum adaptability (all forms of display, readouts,
alerts, etc...).  However, as my friend said, colour displays both LCD and
plasma, lose or leach their colour over time, while monochrome LCDs are
virtually imortal.
Now, I'd still like to use colour displays in my designs, as they are more
adaptable, even if possibly shorter-lived and more expensive.  Does anyone
have any info on long-lasting flat colour displays, prefable low-energy use
ones?

I'll probably end up doing the prototypes one mono displays, as I'm on a low
budget and they'rw all I have laying about, but I'd like to leave the room
for expansion. I picked up the 19" rack on saturday, which already has some
of the equipment mounted in it, so things are getting a little closer to
first practical experiements.

All the best

Sci