From: "L. Parker"
To: "Starship-Design List \(E-mail\)"
Subject: starship-design: Want to bet that Black Horse is in here somewhere?
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 16:43:56 -0500

USAF Teams With Industry To Develop Laser Guns For Jet Fighters

Kirtland AFB - June 5, 2002

Exploring the feasibility of using high-energy lasers on fighter aircraft is
the aim of an agreement signed Friday (May 31) between the Air Force
Research Laboratory here and Lockheed Martin of Fort Worth, Texas.

Under a Cooperative Research And Development Agreement, or CRADA, the
laboratory's Directed Energy Directorate and Lockheed Martin's Aeronautics
Company will pool their resources.

The Air Force laboratory will contribute its expertise in high-energy
lasers, laser beam-control technology and laser vulnerability data. Lockheed
Martin will use the Air Force's information and examine the integration and
optimum performance of high-energy lasers and beam-control technology on
various fighter aircraft such as the F-15, F-16, F-22 and F-35 Joint Strike
Fighter.

The company will also assess the military value and potential of lasers on
tactical platforms and evaluate related aero-optic issues.

Both organizations are expected to benefit from the cooperative effort and
information transfer. The directorate will get insight into the Joint Strike
Fighter and other Lockheed Martin platforms to better determine how to apply
future research to operational systems that benefit the warfighter.

Lockheed Martin will get better technical information on high-energy lasers
and beam control systems that will help the company design better weapons
systems for its aircraft. The overall cooperative effort is expected to
advance and further the development of high-energy lasers aboard tactical
aircraft.
The laboratory's Directed Energy Directorate is building on past
accomplishments. Its scientists invented the chemical laser that is being
used on the Airborne Laser, a Boeing 747-400 series jumbo jet aircraft,
under development, that will use a laser to destroy ballistic missiles
shortly after being launched while still in powered flight.

The directorate is also providing technical support to the Airborne Laser
program. In the early 1980s, the directorate demonstrated that a modified
Boeing 707 laser-armed aircraft could destroy targets in the air.

get the facts! visit www.worldnews.com

Do You Yahoo!?