starship-design: Computing Power

Hello...

    Since we have 2000 people with their own computers, why not
use a distributed computing model?  Most computers tend to spend
a lot of time unused.  I'm sure any non-essential systems could find
_something_ to do with the unused fraction of the combined power
of 2000 PCs (or Macs, whatever your preference).  I wouldn't
recommend trying to run navigational or life-support programs that
way, but most tasks could be run with a fair degree of safety.

    I agree with Kelly, microbes that we have never made the
acquaintance of are probably the most dangerous.  On Terra we
have all of 20 (?) different amino acids comprising all of life on the
planet.  Who knows what the varying effects of different gravity and
radiation have had on the development of basic life?  Regardless of
how exotic they are, they would still pose a danger.  And probably
more so for being quite so exotic.

    Back to the computers...  Are we worried at all about the effects
of space sickness?  It's all well and good to protect computers from
the environment, but I also like the idea of extra, extra rugged
computer cases.  Just in case anyone goes "space happy" for a bit.

    I dunno...  I agree that, historically, governments and companies
have pretty much the same track record when it comes to
colonization.  And, I understand that governments are full of faceless
bureaucrats sent to punish you for any sins, real or imagined.
However, I just can't seem to divest myself of the idea that
corporations are full of soulless demons from Hell.  Maybe it's just
me...  Then again, how does that song go again?  "I sold my soul to
the company store."

    From a less dramatic point of view, I suppose a corporation
would be a better backer than a government.  It seems that
corporations tend to be more willing to go out on a limb when there
is a glimmer of profit.  And, while corporations live in fear of being
seen as guilty of some heinous crime, governments are traditionally
considered the final arbiter when making a life and death decision.  I
think a corporation would probably have a harder time of writing off
a colony than a government would...

    I love this group!  There are so many interesting things to learn!

-JS