Re: Fwd: Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

In a message dated Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:35:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, Curtis Manges <clmanges@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>

> > In a message dated 1/15/02 8:54:08 PM, toxicroach@swbell.net
> > writes:
> >
> > >Oh wow.  Eco-freak on the list.
>
> Yeah, well, as you've been quick to point out, it's a thankless job,
> but someone has to do it.
>
> By the way, I'm a Democrat, too.

Pour devil.

;)

Your definatly out of place on a prospace form.  ;)

> > ;)
> >
> > I'm expecting they "how dare we go forth into space when we messed
> > up
> > (mother) Earth so much".
>
> Think about it: if I felt that way, I wouldn't be on this list, would
> I?

Been known to happen.

> > >B) What is the "proper" use of resources, in your opinion?
> >
> > Good question.
>
> The answer depends on context, which is the whole point I've been
> trying to make. The use of resources has, thus far on Earth, been
> decided largely by default as whatever supports a market (or
> occasionally a war). With so much stuff available, we haven't had to
> think much about where it came from or where it went when we were
> done with it.

Acually outside of totalitarian states that hasn't been true.  economic exchanges direct resources automatically to the area of greatest need, and direct activities to use the least vital resources to accomplish their ends.

>Aboard a spacecraft or colony, it will not be so.
> Consider as an example the disposal of human waste aboard the ISS. Do
> those folks throw away the water every time they take a leak? Unless
> I'm mistaken, I believe they are drinking it.

Well technicall so do we here.  Though folks generally drink the sewage of the folks upstream.

Oh, wait no - they don't drink it on the ISS.  Its cleaned to run washers or something then dumped.

> We are getting better in our practices here at home, simply because
> industry is beginning to realize that they can save money by
> recycling the stuff they used to just dump in the river.
>
> Oh, and all that paper that Ben likes? It's soon to be supplanted by
> electronic notepads; prototypes are in development now.

folks have been saying that for decades.  Reality is that the e notpads are a pain to read.