Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

In a message dated 1/15/02 8:54:08 PM, toxicroach@swbell.net writes:

>Oh wow.  Eco-freak on the list.

;)

I'm expecting they "how dare we go forth into space when we messed up
(mother) Earth so much".

>A)  Even according to the worst predictions of global warming (coming from
>Greenpeace &co., who, btw, have a vested interest in creating a popular
>perception that there is a serious ecological crisis.  Never trust people
>with vested insterests, IMHO), it is nowhere near apocalyptic levels of
>destruction, as you seem to think.  Rio might get wet (and even that is
>very debatable), but we aren't talking about needing another Ark.  Quite a
bit
>of evidence is confusing, to say the least.  Antartica, source of the melted
>ice that will doom us all, for exmaple, is actually getting colder.
>
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40974-2002Jan13.html

NASA's sat data was showing global cooling over the last few decadeswhen I
was working there, and newer laser sats have seen sighns of sea level dec
lining slightly.

And yes, groups like HGreenpeace and others openly embrace such dire
predictions as a way to force folks to adopt the lifestyle they want.

>B) What is the "proper" use of resources, in your opinion?

Good question.

>C) Did any of you receive my last email?  (longwinded, perhaps boring,
>about colonization on Mars)  I sent it from a different program, no response
>from anyone, and I didn't receive it from the listserver.

Don't remember it.