Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

In a message dated 1/14/02 1:10:58 PM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

>Sci wrote:
>> Well, I had a few thoughts (while watching Lost In Space, of all things.).
>
>So what is wrong with the computer from lost in space the B205.
>Tubes and core memory work well in Cosmic radiation, and you even get
>a free radiation meter too if you use the Jupiter model. :)

A tube and core based computer with the capacity of my wrist watch, would
fill a 18 wheeler.  A standard home computers CPU chip alone has the
equivelent of millions of tubes.  You could never keep a tube based
computerthat big operating because of the constant breakdown of tubes.

>Also I read that a inch of water protected life in the sea from
>cosmic radiation when the earth was young. A shell of water or ice
>would have two advantages - protection from radiation - large mass
>to stabilize a rotating habit.

It takes more then that in space.  The equive of a couple feet of steel.

>> What I am not saying though is that these should be the only units.
>the
>> computer makes certain jobs faster, but you need a manual backup.  Actuall
>> valves you can turn, switches you can flip.  In the worst cases of all,
>you
>> can grip a wrench onto a valve and turn it, or short two wires together,
>> something you can't do with a computer.
>
>Lets not forget to kick the thing!

Abnout as likely to be usefull in repairing a fusion drive.,   ;/

>on
>
>Also cheaper too in some aspects. A $.50 cpu may be over kill
>but saves $.75 from something else.

True.

>> Again, things essential to life and safety should be maintained in as
>> mechanical a sence as possible.  All things wear out eventually, but
>keeping
>> things within the range of someone with some sheet metal and a soldering
>> iron might be a good idea.
>
>Plastics may recycle better than metal. One you are in space you may
>be able to fabricate 'new' materials.

Metal is about the most easily recylclable material known, but plastics are a
good secound.

Oddly, the "green" materials like wood, paper, etc are the hardest to
recycle.

>> What I can imagine is possibly some large space-faring organisation,
>> transporting collonists to another planet/world/station/whatever and
>helping
>> them get setup, in return for produce, minerals, etc.., until their dept
>is
>> paid up, at which point they are declared autonomous.
>> Thoughts?
>I don't trust large companies.

And you trust govs more??