Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

Sci wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this list, so I thought I'd say hello to start with.  My
> name's Peter and I've had an interest in space travel for as long as I can
> remember.  For just over a year and a half I've been working with high
> vacuum equipment, so I have a bit of a hardware bent on the subject, and
> amoung other ideas, I have thoughts on a modular, vacuum-tight construction
> system.
> I currently reside in Hastings, UK, but will shortly be moving back to
> London.

 Mostly people here have been talking about deep space travel, but it
nice
to get back to closer travel. I could talk for days since I don't like
the
'Big Project' method of space travel. I would like to see small payload
size stuff - 500 lbs - 200 Kg with twice a day launches Mon-friday.
Having read allot 'Mother Earth News' in my youth I like the small
community
do it yourself view point. I think space-stations need to be built in
space
by hand. If you can't built it by hand you can't fix it by hand. I favor
too a 3 wall construction. vacuum #[air]#[air]#[people]. Air pressure is
different in all 3 chambers, thus if you get a leak you can tell, and
send somebody in to fixit.

> I did have a question also, sorta to kick it all off.  Does anyone have any
> idea what sort of population base would be required for a collony?  Not just
> for the people, but for the livestock and whathaveyou.  I can see problems
> with genetic diversity and so on, if the starting populations are too small.
> Worse case situation, they may be stuck on that world for good.

I think 35-50 people are minimum for clan/small village. 500-750 for
a village/small city state. Looking at pre-historic towns/cities
is the best information I give for base populations. The real problem
is the base population needed to keep the technology bootstapable and
reparable. I favor too 1960's to 1980's technology as a base standard.
Take computers - they are mass market throw away products today. On
a space station you may have 2000 people ( nice round number ) with
500 computers. Replacement and repair of said products could be 25
a month. I really don't want to wait 6 months for parts for the
life support computer from Terra but repair it on site - how long
can you hold your breath?. However the latest qwark-2000
technology chip factory costs $30,000,000,000.00
$.Our budget is only $30,000,000.000 for the next 5 years.

> My best wishes, and hoping this is not off-topic or anything,
>
> Peter
PS. Need a computer for a space station? I am working on a
nice 12/24 bit cpu.:)
--
Ben Franchuk - Dawn * 12/24 bit cpu *
www.jetnet.ab.ca/users/bfranchuk/index.html