starship-design: Re: Sail Ship Idea

In a message dated 9/17/01 4:38:09 PM, ORESTE1687@aol.com writes:

>Okay i just read of the site that you or others had deacceleration problems
>on the sail ship design so i was just wondering if you could carry retro
>trusters just to stop to a dead stop or even some how close the sails so
>that when you got to the system it would had slowed down immensly.

If you mean the Fuel sail system.  Yes the sail itself was made out of fuel,
and consumed by the retro rockets entering the system, and new fuel needs to
be mined in the system to get home, where a smaller sail can decelerate the
unfuled ship into our starsystem, against the presure of the microwave
deceleration beam.

>I'm
>not a scientist i just have a bunch of ideas and I'm still in middle school
>and very interested in space travel I also want to be a space areonautics
>engineer or just desing starships for human colonization. I don't mine
>if you use the idea just if you give me recognition. I hope that my idea
>will help you!

Thanks, and I'll forward this to the group.

>Oreste
>
>9/17
>
>GOOD LUCK

Good luck in your studies.