Fwd: Re: starship-design: FTL

--- Steve VanDevender <stevev@efn.org> wrote:
> From: Steve VanDevender <stevev@efn.org>
> Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:43:33 -0700
> To: Curtis Manges <clmanges@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: starship-design: FTL
>
> Curtis Manges writes:
>  > Getting back to the issue, though, how many anti-particles have
> you
>  > personally met in your lifetime? Probably the same number I
> have. We
>  > have to _work_ to make or find them. So, another way of stating
> my
>  > beliefs on time travel would be to say that I feel it about as
> likely
>  > to experience time travel as it would be to find a random
>  > anti-particle on the street.
>
> Your analogy is still terrible.  It's quite possible to make
> antiparticles and it's well-accepted that they exist.  Anyone who's
> looked seriously at the problem of time travel doubts that it's
> possible
> at all, and no examples of it occurring have been observed.  That's
> very large difference, much more of a difference than your flabby
> analogy tries to make.

Sorry about the lousy analogy, Steve (too much philosophy, I guess
;), and thanks for clarifying that.

Now, I'm still wondering what you folks think of the gravity drive
idea, and/or any connection between gravity and inertia in such a
context. Could you indeed buy one and get the other free?

Curtis

=====
visit my website at: www.geocities.com/clmanges