starship-design: FTL

Hello, all,

FTL discussion is fine with me; it provides a little vibration to
shake some of the rust off my brain, so to speak, as well as
providing at least _some_ discussion material for this otherwise
oft-dormant list.

I can't offer much to the discussion myself, d/t above-mentioned
rust, plus the fact I focus more on philosophy than science these
days. However, I've found that good philosophers _can_ teach you
something. Pertinent example: our universe is not symmetrical, as
shown in our search for anti-matter.

Since the topic of time travel appeared again, I wish to add that
this assymmetry is the basis for my own belief that time-travel is
impossible, at least to the extent that anti-matter is impossible.
Now, to my understanding, time travel is not the same thing as
motion-induced time dilation, which still confuses me, but I have to
admit that time dilation is easy enough to shake out of a box of
equations.

As you may recall, my own favorite candidate for FTL is gravity
control. I seem to recall an Albert someone writing that
gravitational mass is indistinguishable from inertial mass, which
makes me wonder if gravity control would also give you inertia
control as a free bonus. I'd love to see the group's thoughts on
this.

Keep looking up,

Curtis

=====