starship-design: FTL Navigation

I grew up reading E.E. 'Doc" Smith's Lensman novels and have always been
fascinated by the concept of the inertialess space drive. I think that with
the various new theories of inertia, such a space drive might be technically
feasible within a couple of decades.

If by some miracle of "voodoo technology" such a drive becomes a reality,
would faster-than-light navigation be a problem?

>From the little I care to understand about special relativity, as an object
accelerates time slows down, mass increases (thus requiring more and more
energy to push it), and the universe appears to shrink down ahead of it--
but since Einstein had decided nothing can travel faster than the speed of
light, there doesn't seem to be any speculation on what the view would be if
all of the relativistic hindrances Einstein foresaw were removed. If a
hypothetical inertialess spaceship was traveling at ten times the speed of
light, would it see the universe rushing towards it or nothing at all? Or
would FTL navigation be an immensely complicated proposition?

Ron Hubbard