Re: starship-design: Massively Distributed Computing for SETI

KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>> I was getting significantly better speed numbers.  More importantly a mulit
> generation ship is a collosal waste.  It requires a vastly larger, heavier,
> more complicated ship.  So much so, that the same propulsion gear could get
> you there in a fraction of the time.  Hence a small craft that would get
> there in years, would be easier to do then one that would get there in
> decades.

I favor the slower ships because I can't see a practical high speed drive.

> Also trips that take generations are assured to get their AFTER ships sent
> out decades after it left.  Assuming anyone would bother to send them.

That is based on the premise a FAST drive is possible. Lets face it
any interstellar travel will require pushing all known technology
to the limit, and it is hard to say exactly what will be possible in the
future because factors can change suddenly. I think several designs
need to be studied. For example
suspension of life that is not possible now
could be possible in the future with the study of DNA and other biological
processes. This could favor slower ship for bulk transport and a high
speed craft for living material.
Ben.
--
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...
 We borrow it from our children."