Re: starship-design: Massively Distributed Computing for SETI

"L. Parker" wrote:

> Zenon's best case was a 100 km antenna, which is probably the one we should
> go with given the power densities we need. Since even relatively small
> airborne phased array antennas of approximately one meter square contain
> between 2000 and 3000 emitters, we can use the smaller number to estimate
> the number of emitters and therefore the computing power necessary.

First of with the power levels involved I don't expect to have a lot of
very small emitters. Secondly since the array is so large, I expect the
math can be simplified down, and since a block of emitters will have its
own cpu for control a lot of calculations can be done locally. It may even
be possible to have a incremental algorithm that updates partial factors
with a recalculation every hour or so.
Remember the scale -- HUGE distances to travel, thus a long time frame
for travel. This is something that will take several generations to finish
thus realistic goals must be set for each generation.
I also expect that the fastest possible craft at this time (anti-matter drive)
craft @ .4C for a one way trip would be .1C for a practical usable
craft ie:Payload, and .05C for a beamed energy craft.

--
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...
 We borrow it from our children."