Re: [Fwd: Re: starship-design: Hitching a Ride on a Magnetic Bubble]

I have wondered what the power/drag ratio would be with a mag brake.  I'ld think the power levels would be prohibative, but it might work for something powered by a maser sail.

In a message dated Sun, 8 Oct 2000 10:43:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Ben Franchuk <bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca> writes:

<< Steve VanDevender wrote:

> Sailcraft still have quite a bit of appeal for interstellar travel,
> mainly because the fuel-to-payload ratio needed to achieve a speed that
> is a significant fraction of c is huge.  At the very least using a sail
> to boost out of your home system may be far more economical than
> carrying the equivalent amount of fuel.

Better yet, a way to decelerate from light speed.
Ben.
--
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...
 We borrow it from our children."