Re: starship-design: Hitching a Ride on a Magnetic Bubble

In a message dated 10/7/00 11:00:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

> I agree with the math as gut level thing but think that
>  thrust is less for a different reason in the outer solar system.
>  With less solar wind, in the outer solar system you could have
>  more dust and trash that gets messes up the magnetic bubble
>  and taking thrust from the spacecraft.

Ben,
Both, your reasons and theirs, cause a decrease in velocity the farther from
the sun.

Interestingly, any collision with space dust is determined by the laws of
probability as calculated from the rain drop effect equations. The rain drop
effect simply said is that if you run between two doors in a rain storm you
get less wet than if you walk. It applies to space travel as meteor
collisions. Accelerate at one g for 356 days to exceed light speed for the
faster you go the less the probability of catastrophic collision. Star
travel, to be successful, requires a combination of high velocity,
streamlining (minimal rocket cross section area) and electromagnetic methods
for repelling charged objects and avoidance methods to avoid neutral charged
mass objects.

Believe it or not, the electric armor I invented, described in indexb, does
just that.
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/tjac780754/indexb.htm">Plasma Rocket Engine
</A>
see preferred embodiment with electric armor.

Regards,
Tom