starship-design: Libertarian Megamillionaire Gets Russki Space Heap!

More on the man who bought MIR.  I am not surprised that he is a Libertarian
either.

 http://www10.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000723mag-millionaire.html

-----Begin Quote:--------------
This is a story about wealth and space and America and Russia, and it begins
with one man, Walter Anderson -- a man with white hair and pale skin, square,
gold-rimmed glasses and a physical presence so profoundly unprepossessing it's
almost impossible to remember what he looks like.

Anderson is 46 and worth almost a billion dollars. He lives in Washington
-- the
city he grew up in, a city he hates; his hatred of the government is, as he
puts
it, "personal" -- in an apartment adorned with a painting he commissioned based
on a Smashing Pumpkins lyric, "I am still just a rat in a cage." "That's
what we
are," Anderson explains, "rats in a cage. And we're going to gnaw through the
bars because we've got about a 30-year window here, and we'll starve if we
don't
get out."

<snip>

In the alternative space underground, which Anderson has bankrolled pretty much
singlehandedly, he's known for being dystopic, generous, ruthless,
overimpassioned, incisive, philanthropic, libertarian and shy -- by those who
know him at all.