Re: RE: starship-design: Infrastructure in space

In a message dated 4/25/00 10:14:10 AM, zkulpa@zmit1.ippt.gov.pl writes:

>> Even after, we never could figure out a reason to go often or
>> settle in the stars.
>>
>You bet? Think what would happen if astrophysicists find out that
>the Sun is going to blow in a hundred or so years...
>
>Generally, a civilization that is confined to one planed is doomed,
>sooner or later. That which settles all the planetary system is doomed
>
>too, though in a much larger time frame. But such one will be rather
>used to plan in longer time frames too...
>
>-- Zenon

We're around a middle aged star.  Its got another 4-5 billion years in it.  I
can't see that being a major driver.  Not to mention unless we develop star
ships that could carry millions of people we couldn't set up viable self
sufficent colonies on other stars.

Kelly