Re: starship-design: How to build a station.

In a message dated 4/20/00 11:12:26 AM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

>KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Ok, to try to be more constructive in this argument.
>>
>> How would you get a small craft into space?
>>
>> Well one option is hobbeist.  Their are folks building and flying homemade
>> ejector ramjets.  The digging I attached seemed fairly comfortable with
>> Ramjets/scramjets getting up to, maybe above mach  6.  With a bit of
>work
>> getting a ejector ram or pulse get to funding as a rocket in hard vac
>is
>> doable,
>> so the engine weight penalty wouldn't be high.
>
>The real catch is not saving fuel ( that helps ) is that the ram jet
>must be very light as it is dead weight after the air runs out
>and must be the same weight or less as the weight saved in the airframe
>from the lighter fuel load. This starting to look like a TSTO design.
>Since one at this time can't land back in US air space, how about
>ocean based space/port ... save on landing gear and runways, and you
>get a neat launch.... rockets ignite until the ramjet kicks in,
>and off you go.

The ram jets can be modified to also act as rockets, so they don't need to be
dead weight.  Since they can save almost half the take-off weight, they do
give a dramatic edge.

Again, I think the law was changed so launchers can land in the US.  But if
not, and you can make something flyable after rentry, land in Mexico for
lunch them hop hom.  ;)

Space Access' TSTO uses Ejector ramjets for the mother craft and rockets for
the secound stage after the mother craft exits the air.

Kelly