RE: starship-design: Re: FTL travel

Curtis Manges wrote:

> Steve VanDevender wrote:
>
> > See pages 201 and following in the second edition of Taylor and
> > Wheeler's _Spacetime Physics_.
>
> Steve,
>
> For the sake of anyone who sees these pages, please find a
> better book to
> recommend. I bought a copy about a year ago and soon threw it
> away.

[clip]

Was that an off the cuff bash, an emotional bash, or just a plain stupid
one? Since you obviously haven't even tried to find out who the people are
who wrote the book, it might help you to know that they are the preeminent
scientists in the field of relativistic physics. Even a simple search turns
up more papers by these men than almost any others. Not just rehashes
either, but critical new theories and basic research. If you are going to
bash someone, at least learn who it is you are bashing before you go and put
your foot in your mouth.

> I am not a scientist, but I do consider myself a critical
> thinker, and your
> continued support of this book is undermining my estimation
> of your own
> credibility. There are better books out there, I'm sure; please find a
> different one to recommend.

Please be so kind to recommend one since you are so certain of this
subject....

L. Parker

"Who is this that darkens council by words without knowledge?
Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee
and answer thou me... Hast thou entered into the springs of
the sea? Or has thou walked in the recesses of the depth? Or
hast thou seen the doors of deepest darkness? ...Hast thou
comprehended the expanse of the earth? Declare, if thou hast
understanding. "
                                                The Book of Job