Re: starship-design: Re: FTL travel

STAR1SHIP@aol.com wrote:
> Well, if I get there first with my ship built of nonpublic or nonnational
> funding, then by the legal principle of imminent domain I will declare the
> Mars territory "mine" legally voiding prior claims such as yours. For a hefty
> fee I may allow you to see your 3.125 square miles.

That is a good point, and that is what most likely will happen to my
land.

> >  This is false statement in my belief, but I don't have the math skills
> >  to prove you wrong.

> It provides an artificial gravity passengers are conformable with.
> Coasting to the stars while flopping around in zero g for years is not
> desirable. Artificial gravity produced by a rotational axis pod makes one
> dizzy in time when the radius from the center is less than a mile. Great
> diameters are possible, However collision by increased surface area is not
> desirable.

While 1 g a good way to design a ship, any engine must expend a large
amount of energy to keep at the 1 g level thrust.

Finding the equation just recently  Power (in watts) = ISP ( impulse )
* 9.8 ( g ) * N ( newtons of thrust ) / 2. Any propulsion system
would require MAMMOTH amounts of power. Heat dissipation is the limiting
factor
here.

> Poor guess, I believe you are referring to a Bussard ram jet engine. The
> engine specification for  1950's Bussard's invention have been significantly
> improved since by many better engine designs and most significantly my 1989
> invention of a plasma rocket engine.

Yep a guess at this point.

> Had you training in probability and statistics there is effect called the
> "rain drop effect" proving the faster you travel between two points the less
> wet you get from particle "rain drop" collisions.

Never heard of that. More information on the rot cloud is needed here.
Dust
is no problem ---  large rocks are.

 Most of space matter
> collidable with  has the source of the sun as source cause. Effects reduce by
> the square with each doubling of the distance from the source. (poorly said
> ;=). The deep space between stars and galaxies is mostly empty of matter and
> radiation (small background radiation mostly). That star light arrives from
> billions of light years distance without obstruction is convincing evidence
> and proof of this.

The galaxy is were I want to travel.

> Educated guess but I question the credibility based on past experience in
> exploring new worlds across the Bearing straights, and ships coming to
> America, migration of human and animals to unknown earthly frontiers. Do you
> have a source for your info as it is close to the educated quess I made? I
> would be interested in closer examination of the minimum requirement figures.
> Many prior misssions colonizing America with higher numbers have failed to
> survive for one reason or another.

I got the 50 people figure from anthropological studies. 50 people
is minimum number in a family-tribe-group. Also a generation is about 33
years. (baby ->adult ->grandmother). The settling of the pacific ocean
may provide a good exploration model.

> Until I know better or am shown other wise, The list starts with 20
> individuals with me as the commander (my engine and my bonafide license to
> drive it).

Hey wait a minute, I thought you were moving to Mars... ( grin ).

> I welcome your menu suggestions. : List please.

  Hydrophobic gardening, and some rabbits,birds,cats,dogs
and fish as well as pussy willows and algae ( for water filtering ) and
some
dwarf trees. Miniature pigs,cows,sheep, horses optional. Some animals
may need to be genetically altered like slower breeding rabbits.

Mechanical processes would cover things handled by microbes and
buffering of environmental variables, O2 , water vapor, CO2,heat,light.

> Well said. We need to find a new rock (earth). What type of closed travel
> environment would you suggest.

One with a lot of "organic" reminders. A small beach with real waves
and tropical plants. A mountain-top with snow. A jungle hut. In deep
space a marble floor would be a very rare item. Plastic,wood,metal
would be common. Stone,clay,ceramics rare. Paper and ink and fiber
would be a scarcer commodity than currently available. Money would
not be not all computer funds but some other "Hard" currency. Historical
products would command a high value.

> Can you give source knowledge of parts list of the present bio dome.

 Nope, but I do know they say it failed because microbes in the soil
kept using up all the O2 and they had to bring in more O2.

> Atomic
> subs that stay underwater water for up to a years may provide a good starting
> place for a list of supplies life support systems by weight and item
> description and a comfortable prison space requirement provides a volume
> guess.

They import all the food, dump waste into the ocean and NEVER permit
woman on board.

> What is the best terrarium technology. Extrapolation numbers to the 50
> years life (assuming the starting age of 20) can give a working diagram of
> payload system I requested. Can you provide detailed list or link to the info?

No not at this time,but hydroponics is well understood. It is the food
web life
cycle chain that is not.

> >  >
> >  > List by weight next to the item.
> >  > The total weight I or a future inventor can then use to design the engine
> >  > specs make the engine to power such a workable mission.
> >
> >  >
> >  > Should the crew be condemned prisoners or starship--design list members.
> >
> >  There is a difference? grin.
>
> Ha!!
>

> >  > Will I have to drag mankind to the stars kicking and screaming?
> >  >

> >  Yes you will because most men want to stay home and grumble.
>
> I am looking for the computer code (HTML), for now, used by some to cause the
> reader of an e-mail or newsgroup post that cause the reader to be transferred
> by hyperlink to a site Example--my cybership starship without his clicking on
> a link. Benign kidnapping and transport to my site :=). Do you know of the
> code.

Nope.  Study a email virus that kills your hard drive and substitute
<browser> "url"  for "delete *.* "

> Interesting but no cash is not a limiting factor for large projects. The
> first rule of engineering is that all machines are expandable or reducible in
> size depending on how big or small we can make the parts.

My problem is that every time I design something  with part XYZ, they
stopped making that part 3 years earlier. While I can never produce
the chip, there is some interesting "free" semi-custom chip software
(linux)
at :
 http://cobalt.et.tudelft.nl/software/ocean/
---- <clip>
  + Available for free, including all source code.
   + Short learning curve making it suitable for student design courses.
   + Hierarchical (full-custom-like) layout style on sea-of-gates.
   + Powerful tools for placement, routing, simulation and extraction.
   + Any combination of automatic and interactive manual layout.
   + OCEAN can handle even the largest designs.
   + Running on popular HP, Sun and 386/486/Pentium PC machines, easy
     installation.
   + Includes three sea-of-gates images with libraries and a
     200.000 transistor sea-of-gates chip.
---- <end clip>

For a real Space designed cpu -- check this site out.
http://www.estec.esa.nl/wsmwww/erc32/

A space rated? forth processor
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~koopman/stack_computers/sec5_2.html#525

> An interplanetary designed engine will not always work for stellar travel. A
> galactic and stellar ship will always work well for our solar system
> planetary travel. Why not focus resources on one (my galactic engine)?

It is hard to focus on space resources, when there is no orbital
delivery system yet.  $25 lb payload cost would be nice, not $25,000.

Ben.
--
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...
 We borrow it from our children."