starship-design: Wirelss power transmission

I am in the process of completing a project that involves the use of
numerous remote units within a confined are to accomplish several tasks.
One thing that continuously bugs me is that I have to constantly replace
or charge batteries in the power hungry units.  Since it has more to do
with space travel than my project, I thought you may have some information
on Wireless Power Transmission in order to minimize use of battery power.
What follows is a short section of my notes, and I hope you can give me a
hand:

Notes on Wireless Power Transmission

I keep finding entries that relate to high power microwave transmissions
which I really want to avoid.  I believe that the current designs are made
for long range transmission of very large amounts of power.  What we
require is a short range (within one building) transmission of a
relatively small amount of power.  The current designs are made to power
space structures or ships and colonies.  All we will require is the
transmission of battery power to a few remote units.

One idea is the conversion of the building into the stator coil of an
alternator.  Inside each remote unit will be a rotor section which will
pick up the alternating magnetic field and convert it into an alternating
current.  This current can then be rectified and stored or used as
necessary by the equipment.  The design is simple, but I do not have
enough knowledge of electromagnetics to see if it may work.  What I would
like to do is use some resources to test a small scale experiment with
this idea in mind.  If my thought is correct, we will require a very low
level magnetic field, probably at a high frequency.

Of course there are probably other methods of wireless power transmission,
but this one seems to be the most feasible and economical.  Also, it does
not involve potentially harmful microwaves.

Thanks in advance

Fred Reyes