Re: Re: starship-design: Suspended animation.

Connor,
	This is quite an interesting idea, one I liked quite a bit.  Here
are the only two problems i see with your idea.  First, i'm not sure if
your 'phosphor' exists, it might though.  Second:: The energy source for
the engine is the microwave background, which is leftovers from the big
bang (I don't think that the casmir effect has much to do with this)  In
essence, you are trying to extract useful work (accelerate the starship)
from the thermal energy of the universe, the same as trying to run a boat
by sucking heat out of the ocean.  This angers the gods of thermodynamics.
However, I can't for the life of me think of what process might go on to
keep your ship hove to.
	As to practicality, I'm the wrong guy to ask.  I still think that
digging through 52 miles of Texas bedrock so that physicists can have a
new toy is a really great idea.  Also, art should be generously publicly
funded, no matter how incomprehensible.
Best Regards,
Nels Lindberg