Re: starship-design: Suspended animation.

Hi all,
	I saw a tv show on that a while back.  It focused mainly on
Haitian zombei, but also mentioned the unfortunate effects of eating
improperly prepared fugu.  Starflight was mentioned briefly at the end of
the program (complete w/ cheezy graphics)  The common thread was the nerve
poison Teterodoxin, which is used today in very small amounts to control
some kinds of tics.  Unfortunately, taking the drug in large amounts is
bad for you.  The witch doctor interviewed for the program reported a 25%
survival rate for the people he had zombified.  Japanese fugu victims fare
only slightly better, even with modern medical care. Also, the survivors
usually have severe brain damage.  On the other hand, maybe these problems
could be gotten around, some rodents do it without any apparent trouble at
all.
Nels Lindberg