Re: starship-design: The Case for Space

> As to time periods a big factor is when does a place become a preferred home?
>  When will a filth rich space worker prefer to stay and raise a family on a
> O'Neil rather then go back to Earth (on Luna or Mars he/she couldn't).

All the filthy rich investors stay at home, with everything run by
nano-tech what workers would you have?

> With nano-tech space industry may have the legs shot out from under them.
> Why worry about cheap high grade ore, if you can process anything and get
> pure materials?  Why worry as much about cheap power it power plants can grow
> from nanotech seeds?  Zero-G manufacture is a joke if you can assemble to the
> atomic scale down here.  Investment funds to space stations and platforms
> would be diverted to the more profitable and promising nanotech development
> projects.  Same way space development funds ae now being draw off by internet
> projects.

Why does everybody think nano-tech is the be-all and end all of our problems?
A person in the 3rd world is not going to need a tv-computer-datalink-T-shirt
he just wants a phone for the whole vilage.

What resources are there in space? LEO does not count as the raw materials
are still from earth?

           	moon  mars.
oil     	nope. nope
land    	less  more
metals  	some  more
low g industry  more  less
solar           more  less

Ben.
--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Einstein
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...