Re: starship-design: Re:Food in space

thing@xtra.co.nz wrote:

> Everyone seems to be focusing on the finanial aspect of food and
> only at the consumption of the final product. The benifits of growing
> produce in space environments would be high, surely. The
> production and cleaning of air would rank up there.
>
> It is my belief that the proposed manned Mars mission is planned
> using hydroponically grown products to sustain air and oxygen
> levels as much as for the nutrition aspect.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong ( which I know you will).
> My new ambition in life:- A 12 second fart which changes
> note 4 times and forces the dog to leave the room.

Remind me not to take you along to mars!, unless you curb your new ambition in
life.
That is true for distant locations, but for low earth orbit it may be cheaper to
use mechanical methods. Mir dumps the CO2 into space and brings up O2 and food,
I think.
Ben.
--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Einstein
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...