starship-design: maser heating of plasma

Hello folks,
I was wondering, would a MASER be a good way to heat plasma?  I know that
microwaves are sometimes used to pump energy into the secondary coil in
some tokamak designs, but it is never mentioned (at least not that I know
of) if it has been attempted with one or more masers.  Anyone know how to
build a maser?  My idea involves using the plasma as a sort of heat storage
battery.  Any ideas?

Fred Reyes