starship-design: Telescopes vs. probes

To revisit another earlier discussion (its quiet here lately), we were
discussing at one time the importance of observation via telescope compared
to actually going there...I realize this survey is not scientific and is
dealing with planetary rather than interstellar goals, yet it would seem
most people prefer the idea of going there...

Lee

What should be the priority for planetary research? More powerful telescopes
for deep space: 37.2%; Planetary probes to our solar system: 55.2%;
Concentrate on Earth observation probes: 7.6%
Total votes: 1,501

What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth?  Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can
assume it will be pretty bad.
- Dave Barry