starship-design: silly question

Hi, I've been lruking on this list for about 18 months now, and I really
enjoy reading what you all post.

I have a question that has been bugging me, and you guys seem like the
best people to ask on the matter.  I know it's just some simple physics,
but I'm horrible at these things.

So here goes-

If you had a rock floating in space, and another rock 1 light year away,
and a pole in between the two, and assuming you were strong enough to move
the pole (strong being all the mass and strength and everything I dont
account for that would keep the rocks from moving apart when you push the
pole) would it take one year for the pole to move on the receiving rock,
or would it be instantaneous?

I think it would take a year, but my friend thinks it would be instant.
Of course, the answer is probably something like 'it's impossible to move
a pole that big', but I thought I would find out instead of wonder about
it.

Thanks!

--mike cross
  mikec@cyberportal.net