Re: Re: starship-design: Genuine STR question

Ok, I'm not going to repost all the latest comments about storingenergy in
energy, coils of curved partical tracks, and mile across magnetic fields.
These might be possible in some sence, but we don't know, nor do we know how.
Power in large megnetic fields places tremendous structural loads on the coild
or other systems that control it.  Plus it would interact with the
interstellar medium.  Interact with the ships structure. Play hell with any
craft trying to aproach or leave the ship, etc, etc.

In short its a very speculative idea at best.  And one we can't assume would
be lighter or more capable then more conventional ones.

Oh, and heat engines with MHD stages can exceed 40%, I beleave they have
exceeded 60%.

Kelly