RE: starship-design: engines, etc.

No, you don't want to divert plasma to power an MHD generator. This results
in decreased thrust from the plasma. Nor can you derive enough power from
the waste heat to do much more than power on board systems. Typically we are
talking maybe 10 to 50 kW of power. This power comes from the waste heat in
the shielding around the engine not from the exhaust.