Re: starship-design: Re: shielding

In other words, we design a modular engine unit which is really a self

contained ship with either minimal living quarters, or none at all ==

None at all, otherwise we'ld need to shield the drive pack.  I'm not sure I'ld
call it a ship, given its just the engines and fuel processors.

==and

control it remotely. We can then design a variety of "mission modules" with

standard docking connectors. As the need arises, we can change components

for different missions.

Effectivly the entire "ship" is a stack of modules (hab deck, hanger/storage
deck, Fuel handeler, fusion drive, etc).

Hey, I like this idea Kelly! It also solves the intersystem scouting

problem. Detach the main habitat into orbit and use the tug to deliver other

sensor packages within the system. Without the mass of the main habitat,

which is busy building a fueling station right now anyway, the tug could do

some serious delta v intersystem.

Hell the main fuel block for the fuel/sail or explorers was in the tens of
millions of tons.  You'ld be hard pressed to load it up enough to keep it down
to a reasonable speed.  Might be usefull if you need to fetch a medium
asteroid.

Since it is modular, as technology progresses rather than scrap an entire

ship, we just change out tugs. Makes mass production and maintenance easier

too. It might also help solve the old argument about crew return. The

manufacturing and research sections of the habitat can be left behind in the

target system for the next crew, reducing vessel mass for the return,

enabling a faster trip back. Hmm, the list is endless...

Yup, or the ship on the way out could transport specilized construction,
prefab space station, etc equip.

   ;)

Lee Parker

Kelly