RE: starship-design: Re: starships

Timothy,

Was that your post that I was responding to? I understand how a scoop would
be constructed using current technology. My point was that the post _seemed_
to be proposing a different method because of the way it was worded. If you
knew a different method was in the works I wanted to hear it.

We had already discounted the material based screen from consideration do to
force loading and the subsequent design restrictions, i.e. how do you
support this screen at 0.3 c without it collapsing from sheer pressure? By
the time you build a framework sufficiently strong enough to support the
force loading on the screen the ship just got VERY heavy. All of this
assumed a catcher that was only at most 1000 meters across. The original
post was talking about sizes that were WAY beyond practical engineering.

Just as an aside, if I were to make such a screen, I wouldn't use aluminum
or copper, I would use pure calcium metal. It is lighter and a better
conductor than copper. It does have a few interesting engineering
consideration though. Hint, there is a reason why we don't have calcium
wiring in our house, and the same reason is why it is perfect for this
purpose.

Lee Parker