Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: starship-design: RE: Bugs again

In a message dated 10/21/98 10:51:25 PM, stevev@efn.org wrote:

>KellySt@aol.com writes:
> > >General relativity seems to offer the best potential for allowing
> > >FTL effects, but no one has proven (even theoretically) that FTL
> > >travel could be achieved using things that actually exist or
> > >could be made from things that exist in the universe.  The
> > >implications are, though, that it would indeed take absolutely
> > >incredible amounts of energy to create anything like a wormhole
> > >or a "warp bubble".
> >
> > But saying it would take incredable amounts of energy is a big difference
from
> > physically impossible.
> >
> > Kelly
>
>I wouldn't be surprised, if it turns out that FTL is physically
>possible, that it might be practically impossible.  It could take
>something like a galaxy's worth of mass/energy to move something
>not very big a relatively short distance at FTL speeds.  Under
>such circumstances relativistic travel could look very efficient
>indeed.

Historically things that are usefull, but require extravagent costs.
Eventually become affordable to more advanced periods of history.  Or we find
another trick.

Without FTL, interstellar travel is probably to impractical and unproductive
for common use, or for farther then the imediate stellar neighborhood.

Kelly