Re: Re: starship-design: The Way ahead & Bugs

> From: KellySt@aol.com

> >> I one case we ask for people to volenteer to risk us having
> >> to kill them to protect Earth from potentially devastating plagues.
> >> In the other we ask for volunteers to die for buracratic convenence.
> >>
> >Bureaucratic convenience? How come?
> >Kelly, you are next to impossible at times... ;-))
>
> To save the money or time nessisary to work up a two way mission.
> Staying longer has little other benifit.

The one-way missions have the following advantages:
- Are possible in many cases when a two-way is simply impossible
  (lack of reliable technology; trips to farther stars).
- Are less prone to catastrophic ship & engine failures
  (two-times lower load on the engines, many times less fuel needed).
- Allow for much longer and thorough exploration at the destination.
- Will be positively preferred by many people (e.g., Bjorn and me -
  for the reasons Bjorn finely described).
For bureaucracy they will be a burden - it will be probably easier
to sell to the public the illusion of "returning'em home safely".

> >> Big morality issue difference.
> >>
> >Oh, yes. In favor of my one-way missions...
>
> I what sence?

Compare the situation of volunteers living with the exciting
job to do until natural death of old age,
to the situation of people given an illusion of safe return
and then killed ruthlessly and prematurely just when they are
approaching their promised & dreamed-for home...

-- Zenon