Re: Re: Re: RE: starship-design: Interstellar mission within fifty years

In a message dated 10/19/98 8:28:27 AM, zkulpa@zmit1.ippt.gov.pl wrote:

>> From: KellySt@aol.com
>>
>>===
>> >>
>> >Only if you assume that all resources should be transported
>> >to the planet base from space/asteroid mines. However, a planet
>> >suitable for settling by definition should have the necessary
>> >resources on the surface - including such hard-to-find in space
>> >resources like gravity, atmosphere (providing additionally
>> >radiation shielding), running (or subsurface) water,
>> >appropriate temperature, base-building materials...
>>
>> Materials are harder to get on a planet then in space
>> (water, ore, air subcomponents)
>>
>Possibly harder to find, but easier to exploit.

How?  The ore is higher grade in space.  Near nil transport and thermal power
costs.  No need to break open a montain to get to it.  Little problem in
forging and welding it together.

>> spining for grav isn't hard.
>>
>Still not yet tested practically .

>> Probably no real chance of
>> finding a planet with 1 g,
>>
>Say, 0.6 to 1.5 g will be equally good.

We have no way of knowing, but data suggests not.

>> right temp range, and non toxic but breathable air anyway.
>>
>I am not asking for as much as air being breathable.
>Having a decent atmosfere has other advantages than breathing it:
>solar & cosmic radiation protection, no need for pressure suits
>(oxygen masks suffice - provided it is not toxic through
>skin contact: HCN or CS2 or the like are certainly rather bad,
>but methane, CO2, nitrogen, even little ammonia are bearable),
>lower temperature variation.

Ah ha.  Your taking an encampment on a frozen methan or amonia world with
possible toxic life and high expense, and unknown rad level, instead of a
O'Neil?!

>-- Zenon

Kelly