Re: Re: starship-design: The Way ahead & Bugs

In a message dated 10/19/98 12:24:53 PM, andrew@hmm.u-net.com wrote:

>>I also agree. Interstellar travel is very taxing on resources, and I don't
>think
>>it is reasonable to send a two-way expedition. There is acceleration and
>>deceleration, and then another acceleration and deceleration. If you are
>sending
>>people to another star, why just scout and then return them at over twice
the
>>cost and complexity, when you can just send colonists on a one-way mission?
>
>I completely disagree.
>how do you sell this to the media?
>You need the vast majority of the public to support you, you'r eprobably
>the reason their taxes are now 30% higher.
>
>Andrew West

Assuming you don't want them to die in 30 years a one way mission would take
much upgrading over a two way.  Assuming you want to be reelected (or not
skined alive) as a politician you would not send national heros to go stir
crazy and die on international TV.

Kelly