Re: Re: RE: starship-design: Interstellar mission within fifty years

> From: KellySt@aol.com

> >> Well there obviously no law against it, so they wouldn't need permits.
> >> I know we ship Anti from CERN to US accelerators every once
> >> in a while too.
> >>
> >Just because the amounts of antimatter contained and shipped is so
> >small that there is no real danger even when the container fails.
> >It will be another thing with larger amounts.
> >Hence my doubt if the fact of hauling the containers
> >on highways is a proof that we can make and transport
> >antimatter in bulk...
>
> Well yeah I can see the public geting a bit upset if we start creating
> and storing tens of tons of anti particals in our starships Bose-Enstine
> condesit tank.  Especial if we do it in low Earth orbit.  ;)

That was exactly my point...

> >[...]
> >>
> >> Big disagree. In space building a O'Niel is probably easier then landing
> >> and building the infastructure for a similar sized city. In space your
> >> not cut off from resources and free power, and transport and lift
> >> costs are about nil.
> >>
> >Only if you assume that all resources should be transported
> >to the planet base from space/asteroid mines. However, a planet
> >suitable for settling by definition should have the necessary
> >resources on the surface - including such hard-to-find in space
> >resources like gravity, atmosphere (providing additionally
> >radiation shielding), running (or subsurface) water,
> >appropriate temperature, base-building materials...
>
> Materials are harder to get on a planet then in space
> (water, ore, air subcomponents)

Possibly harder to find, but easier to exploit.

> spining for grav isn't hard.

Still not yet tested practically .

> Probably no real chance of
> finding a planet with 1 g,

Say, 0.6 to 1.5 g will be equally good.

> right temp range, and non toxic but breathable air anyway.

I am not asking for as much as air being breathable.
Having a decent atmosfere has other advantages than breathing it:
solar & cosmic radiation protection, no need for pressure suits
(oxygen masks suffice - provided it is not toxic through
skin contact: HCN or CS2 or the like are certainly rather bad,
but methane, CO2, nitrogen, even little ammonia are bearable),
lower temperature variation.

-- Zenon