Re: Re: Re: starship-design: Interstellar mission within fifty years

In a message dated 10/18/98 9:16:16 AM, paul_virak_khuong@yahoo.com wrote:
>=======

>timetable
>> >>
>> >OK, but still it is only handwaving at this stage, you must admit.
>Do you really think that we'll have
>not-too-power-eating-plasma-engines in ONLY 50 years??

Sure.  The fusion part we've done (thou research pretty well died when the
fuel crises fizzeled).  Making more efficent Lasers or voltage compresion
systems certainly shouldn't take that long.  The big if is will there be any
reason to develop the plasma motors.  If so, they won't take 50 years.  If
not, they won't be done.

>Maybe with pinchers, but it'd be better to launch simple particules
>you don't have to carry, like hydrogen: ionize'em, de ionize'em at the
>end, use supraconductors, after all, it's almost 0 K outside.

Don't follow this.  Also superconducters should probably be avoided.

>==

Kelly