Re: Re: RE: starship-design: Interstellar mission within fifty years

In a message dated 10/13/98 12:08:21 PM, zkulpa@zmit1.ippt.gov.pl wrote:

>> >That's news. As far as I know, they said that some time it will
>> >Dbe possible... id they already get proper permits to haul antimatter
>> >on U.S. highways? I doubt that.
>>
>> Well there obviously no law against it, so they wouldn't need permits.
>> I know we ship Anti from CERN to US accelerators every once in a while too.
>>
>Just because the amounts of antimatter contained and shipped is so
>small that there is no real danger even when the container fails.
>It will be another thing with larger amounts.
>Hence my doubt if the fact of hauling the containers
>on highways is a proof that we can make and transport
>antimatter in bulk...

Well yeah I can see the public geting a bit upset if we start creating and
storing tens of tons of anti particals in our starships Bose-Enstine condesit
tank.  Especial if we do it in low Earth orbit.  ;)

>[...]
>> >Yes and no. I think it will be easier to settle a planet
>> >(in the sense of building a permanent, self-sutained habitat
>> >for a significant number of people), that building equivalent
>> >artificial colony in space, at least in a foreseable future.
>>
>> Big disagree. In space building a O'Niel is probably easier then landing
>> and building the infastructure for a similar sized city. In space your
>> not cut off from resources and free power, and transport and lift
>> costs are about nil.
>>
>Only if you assume that all resources should be transported
>to the planet base from space/asteroid mines. However, a planet
>suitable for settling by definition should have the necessary
>resources on the surface - including such hard-to-find in space
>resources like gravity, atmosphere (providing additionally
>radiation shielding), running (or subsurface) water,
>appropriate temperature, base-building materials...

Materials are harder to get on a planet then in space (water, ore, air
subcomponents) spining for grav isn't hard.  Probably no real chance of
finding a planet with 1 g, right temp range, and non toxic but breathable air
anyway.

>-- Zenon

Kelly