Re: RE: starship-design: YES, we might do it.

In a message dated 10/8/98 10:08:16 AM, david@playlink.com wrote:

>> ----------

Plausable.  The big problem is figuring out a way to land ore cheaply enough.
I mean most ore goes for dime to dollars per pound, even the cost of launching
an empty lander blows those costs.  (An issue I'ld really like to think of a
way around.)

>Private companies will lead the way to a permanent presence in space, as
>long as there is money there.  And we all know there is.  However,
>asteroid mining and the like will be easier if there is an existing
>launch infrastructure, and I think this will be facilitated by space
>tourism.  Yes, this tourism will mainly be for the rich in the
>beginning, but it doesn't matter if it helps jump start everything and
>eventually we all get to go.
>
>I may never get to another star, and I may never go to Mars or even the
>moon... but I'm pretty confident that before my life is over I will have
>gotten the chance to see the Earth from space.
>
>Call your senator today and tell them to vote YES on H. Res. 572.  This
>bill (recently passed by the House) allows private U.S. companies to
>send reusable launch vehicles into space.  The D.O.T. will license such
>companies.

I think they already passed this one?