Re: Re: Re: Re: starship-design: scoops and sails and something topush against.

In a message dated 10/6/98 11:00:09 PM, nlindber@u.washington.edu wrote:

>Acttually, a few european colonies have been started for religious
>reasons, such as the Puritans, quakers, and later the mormons in Utah.  I
>don't know how plausible interstellar pilgrimage is, but I can see the
>appeal for some group to leave "babylon" behind and set out for the
>promised land.  A large group with a strong vision and strong finances
>could do this even prior to more "public" colony projects.
>Best Regards
>Nels Lindberg

Those colonies had a very low survival and success rate (hundreds founded,
dozens survived) and to have pockets deep enough to fund a project like this,
you have to be a powerfull insider.

Also those colonies generally used ships developed by others previously.  So
who launches the predisesor flights?

Kelly