Re: starship-design: Interstellar travel-using vacuum..ur point?

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 GVoigt8259@aol.com wrote:

> Hi sir,
>
> Forgive me, I'm just a lowly  chemist with a huge interest in astronomy and
> physics.   The most plausible and acheivable goal for an STL (Slower than
> light) ship sounds like a Bussard RAMJET (Elegent design) which could attain
> speeds in excess of 50% the speed of light.
>
> You have a better idea?  i want to know. write me back
>
> Garth Voigt

	The Bussard ramjet idea is indeed elegant.  Unfortunately, the
interstellar medium is too thin to make this really practical.  Also, i
understand that the interstellar medium is especially thin locally for
some reason (i forget). Bad luck.  Check out the L.I.T pages having to do
with the engine for the "Explorer" type starship, I think it's
explained better there.`
Best regards,
Nels Lindberg