Re: RE: RE: starship-design: Plasma Engine (VASIMR)

In a message dated 9/2/98 7:52:44 AM, lparker@cacaphony.net wrote:

>Kelly,
>

>> Thats not what I ment.  To generate the power, you need fuel, lots of it.
>
>The
>
>> fuel weighht is what drags all this stuff down.
>

>Huh? I was talking about a 40 kW space rated nuclear reactor such as those
>
>designed for satellites. Yes it is heavy, but not because it requires lots
>
>of fuel. The purpose of this power was to drive a very large klystron tube
>
>which heats the hydrogen fuel into a plasma. NOW you have lots of fuel - for
>
>the engines, not to generate power.
>

>This engine approaches fusion engines in efficiency, making it ideal for
>
>interplanetary missions. It could even put a probe through one of the nearer
>
>star systems within fifty years.
>

>Lee

I.E. the reactor fisionables are the fuel, and are heavy compared to fusion
fuel to generate the same power.  This sounds like it would be pretty heavy
compared to a direct fusion system.  I.E. all the fusion energy directly
converted to exaust kinetic energy.

Kelly